Friday, August 21, 2009

Restricted Area??

August 14
We are in the Strait of Georgia more big water and today we have 3 foot, choppy seas with winds up to about 15 knots, nothing the boat can't handle, but uncomfortable to be in for too long. Mike tried to set a course to keep things smooth as I made breakfast. We noticed out the window that some military planes were flying very low and in the middle of the strait there is a large boat anchored - that is unusual. Mike knows we are close to the Military Explosive Canadian Torpedo range which periodically is closed for military operations. Mike casually says, "They are probably going to bomb that boat." I respond, "I hope they don't make a mistake and go for us." I almost have breakfast ready when I see a zodiac boat come zooming in on our stern and guess who? Oh, just some fellas from the Canadian Navy and they aren't dropping in for breakfast. Mike steps out and they tell us we ARE in the restricted area and it is closed today - WHOOPS. We quickly change course as the breakfast dishes start crashing and things get jostled around as we take the bumpy course out of the restricted area. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the guys, they didn't appear to be very friendly. Later I notice that Mike had taped up the Canadian flag last night because it was flapping in the wind - I don't think they appreciated our lack of patriotism for their country or maybe us trespassing into their military zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment