Monday, August 10, 2009

Eagles and Beautiful Scenery





August 3
Heading south on Whale passage and then into Campania Sound and down Laredo Channel. Sunny day with some wind - the wind is usually right on our stern, not good sailing weather. Along the way we see a group of 5-8 eagles swooping down from their perches along the shoreline and "fishing" in the sound. It might be a training session since we see about 4 eaglets that are also trying to catch fish. We stop and watch for a few minutes. We also see a few whales today. Catch a glimpse of a humback's tail taking a deep dive.

Jumping Fish Cove - That is the name I am giving it because we were surrounded by jumping, spinning, splashing Silvers. They were begging us to catch them. So, we "mooched" basically means,you fish off the boat. We would drop our hooks to the bottom and slowly reel it in. The fish were not much interested in our mooching, they were too busy jumping. At the end of the cove was a creek, we could hear the waterfall back in the forest, we think the fish were getting ready to spawn up the creek. Maybe the Silvers didn't like my fishing position. I want to sit back and relax and rest the pole and enjoy the experience. Mike would like me to stand up and hold the tip down and support the pole and "feel the fish" all I felt was my back getting tired and my arms aching. That technique is just not working for me. I like to sit on the pilot house with one leg up supporting the pole on my knee, one hand lightly holding the pole, so I don't get a arm or hand cramp, while my eyes gaze out over the sparkling water, wind blowing my hair, sun on my back and drinking a Mike's Lemonade - that works for me!


August 4
Rudolf Bay is on the rugged coastline of Price Island. It is the only anchorage on the west coast of the island. It sounds easy enough to get to, just go through a maze of rocks and anchor. The book wasn't clear about what side of the island to go on a the charts aren't real complete in this area. We swerved and manuvered through the myraid of rocks, kelp and with the extreme tides we weren't sure we would have enough water under us, so we better leave now while the tide is still high enough to get out - but no, the fog is rolling in and we have to stay. We find another deeper place to anchor and we are here. It turns out to be absolutely gorgeous. The rocks are huge, jagged and tower over us. We take a dinghy ride around the area and take the GPS to check out the depths, so we can find our way out safely. Later in the evening we heard wolves howling and loons singing, every anchorage has something special to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment